Saturday, Day 7
(Click on pictures to enlarge)

Kathy Wrote:

They did it!!!  Our gang pedaled into Idaho Springs and under the RTR finish line today
with broad smiles.  Dean rode at a very fast pace, crossing the finish line (for the first
time) at around 10:45a.  In order to get his week's mileage over 500, he rode back up to
Empire and down again to recross the finish line.

Tommy and Alice came in around 12:15p.  Judy and I were waiting for them at the last
corner, and Marv and JoAnn were waiting on the other side of the finish line.  As it turns
out, Dean also was across the finish line waiting for Tommy and Alice, but Judy and I did
not see him until after Tommy and Alice had completed the day's ride.

There were a lot of big smiles, high fives, applause, and a great (and well-deserved)
sense of accomplishment for each of the riders crossing the finish line.  After signing in
at the end-of-the-ride table, they received their certificate of achievement and RTR pin.
The mood was very festive, and folks were heading off in different directions to return to
their homes.

After the guys retrieved their bags, we walked back to the car for a tailgate lunch.  We
then headed back to Boulder.

Here are today's statistics:

Total miles:  55 (bringing the total for the week to 480 ... except for Dean, who topped
Time from start to finish (including stops at the aid stations):  5 hours, 30 minutes (for
Tommy and Alice, Dean did it in a lot less)
Time in the saddle:  4 hours, 14 minutes (ironically, the exact time for yesterday's ride,
which was a lot longer but did not include a pass)
Maximum speed:  42 miles per hour (on the downhill side of Berthoud Pass)
Average speed while riding:  13 miles per hour (a really good pace, considering the climb

The rest of this is from Tommy:

Today's ride was a magnificent climb up Berthoud Pass to an altitude of almost 12,000
feet.  The scenery was spectacular, as was the day.  We had a 31-mile climb to the summit,
and a 24-mile downhill run into Idaho Springs.  The road on the descent is under repair
and it was very rough.  Many of those who sped down the hill ended up having flats
because of the poor road conditions.  The highlight of the race was being greeted by loved
ones who had taken time to come to pick us up, as well as providing support throughout the

Throughout the ride, it was evident that there were many teams participating.  One of the
most interesting teams was Team Bad Boys.  Each had a very hefty mountain bike with
various things attached, taking the weight of their bikes over 175 lbs.  One bike carried
a complete stereo system with a 300-watt gasoline generator to power the equipment.  He
played it throughout the ride.  His bike and apparatus were the heaviest of the team,
weighing in at 220 lbs.  Another carried a complete barbecue grill made out of a 55-gallon
oil drum, while a third carried a complete sink.  One carried a fully stocked bar, and one
carried a cooler with all of their food and clothes strapped on top.  They were quite a
sight to behold!  They said that their biggest problem on the ride was their bikes kept
breaking under the combined stress of the ride and the load.

All in all, the ride was a huge success with no significant injuries (my sunburned lips
notwithstanding), no flats, and no mechanical difficulties for the three of us.  I am
looking forward to doing it again next year.

Day 7...Granby to Idaho Springs, 55 miles.

Day 7...the last day of the ride.  This day featured a lot of up and a lot of down.  The ride up Berthoud Pass was long, hard and beautiful.  Pictures A through F feature some of that beauty towards the top of the pass.

Finally...the summit of the pass was reached.  Picture A shows the summit sign and picture B shows the chair lift for the Berthoud ski area.  Pictures C and D are scenes from the top.  If you enlarge D and look carefully, you can see a string of riders who have not yet reached the summit.  Pictures E and F are of the Team Bad Boys and their rigs.  These rigs which ranged from 175 to 220 pounds, include a 55 gallon drum barbecue, a sink, a cooler, a wet bar, and a full stereo system with a 300 watt gasoline generator.  Compared to some of the tiny cd players and radios strapped to the handlebars of some bikes, this stereo put out quite a sound.  Can you imagine pulling this over the pass?  The only thing that stretched my imagination more were the hand cyclists.  Their courage was an inspiration to everyone! Alice met a friend, Laura, whom we rode with some.  Picture G shows Laura and Alice.

Finally after 23 mile downhill ride we crossed the finish line shown in picture A.  Dean had crossed earlier and Alice crossed right after me.  We met all the support folks and Dean, Judy, Kathy, and I had a nice picnic lunch that Kathy had prepared.  The ride was fun as usual, but I must say that I did not get on my bike for a few days.  After the 480 mile, 7-day ride, I have started to ride again, and can feel the benefits of the training.  I hope this web site stirs some good memories for those of you who rode, and will inspire some of you to sign up for next year's ride.